What does it actually mean to be “addicted” to social media? It’s like any other addiction, you feel as if you can’t live without it. It feels like your life-line.
Social media has changed our world! It has given us so many opportunities & advantages that we never had when all we had was a phone. However, there are some downsides to social media, as well.
Today, I want to talk about six signs that you may be addicted to social media. If you see yourself in one of these categories, maybe it’s time to unplug. If you see yourself in two or more of these categories, it is definitely time to unplug, and maybe even think about getting some help. Trust me, I’m not pointing fingers here. I know what it’s like to be addicted to social media.
So, let’s take a look at these six signs:
- You rarely put your phone down. You find yourself in the middle of a conversation with someone, and then wondering off into “social media land”. You can’t even stay on track with the conversation in front of you because you are too concerned about what is happening with social media; how many people liked your post; how many people loved your post; how many people shared your post, and what everyone else is up to. How many times do you find yourself having to regroup and bring yourself back into the real world conversation that you are having because you’ve wondered off into social media land?
- You are the first one to comment or like someone else’s post. I’ve had people say to me, “wow, you were really fast on that Facebook post! I barely posted it and you liked it.” I’ve even had my kids call me and ask me if I was okay because I didn’t respond quickly, like I usually do!
- You find yourself in a rage when the Internet goes out because now you can’t get onto social media. This one says everything, doesn’t it!?
- Your phone is the first thing you pick up when you wake up in the morning, and you immediately go to your social media account(s). I have been so guilty with this one! Sometimes it’s noon before I realize it, and I realize just how much time I have wasted!!
- You base your value on the number of likes your post receives. This is a big one! Our value does not come from anything or anyone, but the Lord! If we are looking to anything or anyone else for value, we are looking in all the wrong places. There is nothing in this world that will fill the voids or lack of value in our lives other than Jesus Christ. No matter who you are, where you are from, what your background is like, Jesus is the only One who can truly fill those voids!
- You compare yourself and your life with others. This one is scary! This one can be so crippling! If someone else makes you feel inferior, or their lifestyle makes you feel as if your life doesn’t matter or isn’t good enough, we need to change the lenses we are looking through. First of all, we need to realize that we are looking into a virtual world. Anybody can make their life look good, or better than it really is.
These are just six signs, guys. There are a lot more! But, like I said above, if you can relate to two or more of these signs, maybe it’s time to unplug, even if it’s just for a little while. We can lose touch with so many real world relationships because of social media. It can interfere with so many areas of our lives. I’ve even heard of people losing their job because they couldn’t stay off of social media!! This can truly be an addiction for some!
Over the next few days, I want to talk about the “why” of these addictions. Why are we addicted to social media? What is missing in our lives that we are only getting from social media? How is social media affecting our personal relationships, or our job? How is it affecting our family time? So many things to look at, and that’s what we are going to dive into these next few days.
Until then, be blessed!